Saturday, February 27, 2010

Umbraco… Not ready for the limelight yet?

I’ve been trying to use Umbraco CMS with my web host (See yesterday’s rant for a little more on that), but it seems that every version prior to 4.1 won’t run under “Medium Trust” (Something my web host seems to need). Thus I have downloaded the 4.1b2 version of Umbraco, and what do I find?

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Request failed.

Source Error:

Line 145:            <providers>
Line 146:                <clear />
Line 147:                <add name="UmbracoRoleProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoRoleProvider" />
Line 148:            </providers>
Line 149:        </roleManager>

Looking through the bugtracker, I find the answer that “This'll be because I haven't brought my replacements for umbraco.providers into the 4.1 trunk yet. Will do later on today.” That was posted on the 18th, and the issue was marked as “Fixed”, yet going through the changelogs there doesn’t appear to be any such fix applied as of yet.

This kind of thing is infuriating, and makes the past 3 months spent learning Umbraco’s templating and design system a complete waste. At the moment, I can’t use this system, as powerful and nice as it is, which means I’ve wasted valuable time. So I’m on the lookout for another open-source (or at least free-to-use) CMS system that supports discussion fora, is reasonably simple to use on the back end, and works under Medium Trust .net v2 (Perhaps v3.5, but given that 3.5 runs on-top of v2, it’s difficult to see what version is actually installed). I’d also prefer C#, but that’s not really a necessity.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have a client on 1&1 that wants CMS installing, did you get anywhere with this at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the end, I gave up trying to get Umbraco and 1&1 to work together. Fortunately, however, I found that mojoPortal works perfectly with 1&1's setup, and as mojoPortal is a pretty excellent CMS in itself, that solved my particular problem. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete